Although there are some blooms in the garden, I haven’t been seeing many butterflies and I decided to try an experiment. I made bait using a ripe banana, brown sugar, molasses, beer, and overly-ripe peaches, and let it ferment. I put some bait in a hummingbird feeder and more on a strip of terrycloth, and hung them in the backyard.
It’s working, and I’m pleased to finally see some butterflies. Visitors include this Tawny Emperor (Asterocampa clyton).
I’ve also seen Red Admirals (Vanessa atalanta).
Additional visitors have included Question Marks (Polygonia interrogationis) and Eastern Commas (Polygonia comma). Watermelon and other fruit that I put out earlier this summer mainly attracted ants. So far I’ve had no ants on the fermented bait, and it’s attracting an interesting variety of visitors. Stay tuned for more about this experiment in another post.