A strong interest in butterflies, wanting to see and photograph them was a primary reason for re-landscaping the backyard. Native plants led to Monarch caterpillars which led to raising butterflies and sharing this experience with others. Here are some of the resources I’ve found helpful.
- The Life Cycles of Butterflies – Judy Burris and Wayne Richards. This book by a Louisville, KY sister and brother and focuses on common Kentucky butterflies, host plants, and nectar plants. It’s especially helpful for beginning butterfly enthusiasts.
- Gardening for the Birds -Thomas G. Barnes. This book was quite helpful when we were in the beginning stages of landscaping our backyard. It is as much about gardening for butterflies as birds.
- Butterflies through Binoculars – the East – Jeffrey Glassberg. This is my favorite butterfly field guide.
- Two excellent websites for learning more about butterflies:
- Monarch Magic – Betty Hall. I’m fascinated by butterflies, and especially Monarchs. I created a picture book to share this interest with young children. You can preview it and buy a copy on Blurb, (paperback or hardback) or contact me.
- Raising butterflies - I’ve had great fun raising butterflies, and I encourage others to try it. This PDF includes my tips to help you get started.